Welcome to Year 5
Welcome to a new school year, a new classroom and new teaching staff! We are all really looking forward to working with you and your children in order to make this the best year possible! Together, we hope to work as a team in order to allow the children to blossom and develop into confident young learners.
We are always willing to speak to you in person, however at the end of the school day on the release door, is often very busy and therefore we ask simply make an appointment at the office or phone school and we will call you back as soon as possible.
We would like to remind children of the high expectation of behaviour that is needed at St John Vianney. Children each day start on the ‘white cloud’ which is acceptable behaviour, if they continue to follow the ‘Golden Rules’ they will be rewarded with moving to the ‘sunshine’ and have the potential to become a ‘Rainbow Child’. Sadly, if children choose to break the ‘Golden Rules’ they will be reminded in line with our Behaviour Policy, but if they continue with the behaviour, they will move onto the ‘raincloud’ which will result in a lost playtime.
We would like to remind the children that every day is a new day – a fresh start and the chance to start again!
This term we are looking at Anglo-Saxons where we will:
- Understand the history of Britain as a coherent and chronological narrative, from the earliest times to the present day
- Learn how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- Understand historical concepts such as similarity, difference and significance, and use them to make connections, draw contrast and frame historically valid questions
- Create their own structured accounts, including written narratives and analyses.
- Reading records are expected to be handed in each morning and signed by an adult each night.
- PE is on a Monday and Friday afternoon.
- Homework will be issued on a Friday and expected in by the following Wednesday.
- Homework will consist of spellings, maths and topic per week.